Friday, December 10, 2004

ATTN: Redefinition of human behaviour in terms of attention

Talking to one of my friends yesterday, i heard myself say to her that i want to redefine the current terms in psychology, break them apart and recreate them into a new attention paradigm. I might even be on the look for the holy grail, the ultimate answer to the question why people act in the first place.

Here's an example. The definition is self-esteem. The Dutch word for it is eigenwaarde (self value).

If my self-esteem is very low, i need to do something about it. So i want the attention of other people, because energy follows attention and i need the energy. But maybe i don't want to face reality, maybe i had a worse than bad youth, maybe i'm scared of other people and i need to flee into my own fantasy world. I might become a writer like Patricia Highsmith, a celebrity like Andy Warhol, or a celebrity murderer like Mark David Chapman. Dutch author CONNIE PALMEN wrote a very interesting book about these and other people.

How could i translate this need for energy into the currency of attention? How to estimate the value of my own self? What scale should i use? What is the amount of energy / attention that is left inside my body?

So the question is: how could i redefine human behaviour in terms of basic need for energy and ways to get it? What basic terms in human behaviour could be re-termed in this way? If someone could understand what is happening here, then maybe we could do something about it.

1 comment:

Dan said...

I find that the things (people, objects, events, abstractions) that I think about "pop out at me" from out of my perceptual background. I often find it useful, in fact, to meditatively let pop out things I might not have more deliberately "put my mind to."

My suggestion is that maybe if you want others to think about/give attention to you, you should think of (constructive) ways to "pop out" at them, such as posting to their weblogs! I've attracted much positive energy this way.